Sardine Run Port Elizabeth
Thousands of dolphins can be seen chasing shoals of fish into a tight bait ball, which results in a feeding frenzy attracting dolphins, penguins, sharks, whales, seals, game fish and sea birds. This incredible phenomenon is famous with photographers, divers & adventure seekers from around the globe.
What makes Port Elizabeth unique is that not only is it home to the largest breeding colony of African Penguins & Cape Gannet’s in the world, but is also on the migratory route of numerous whales and dolphins. There are a variety of excellent dive sites in the bay (home to Ragged Tooth Sharks), adding great value to your Sardine Run experience.
Besides the rich marine life, there are wildlife reserves including Addo Elephant National Park, located nearby offering Malaria free, Big 5 Game viewing. With numerous untouched beaches, hotels, restaurants and other facilities the Port Elizabeth area embraces the complete South African experience.
Snorkeling is ideal, as the sardine bait balls often move quite fast and with snorkel gear it is easy to gain quick entry and exit on the boat. This also allows the boat to keep up with the action. If a bait ball is big enough and static there will be the opportunity to enter the water with scuba and observe the action from below.
If conditions allow there will be opportunities to snorkel with Penguins which is a unique experience only possible in Port Elizabeth.
With the flight school based in Port Elizabeth we obtain aerial information several times during the day. This is used in combination with local spotters, fishermen and ocean users in the area to locate information regarding Sardine Run action.
Day 1: Arrive in Port Elizabeth and transfer to your hotel.
Meet up in the late afternoon for a full expedition briefing and to meet the crew.
Day 2 – 6: Spend 5 days out at sea looking for Sardine Run action.
After breakfast transfer to the launch site where you will kit up, load the boat (8m semi-rigid RIB) and prepare for a full day out at sea. Refreshments and lunch are provided on the boat.We use a combination of aerial information, local spotters, fishermen & ocean users in the area to locate information regarding Sardine Run action. During the day, there will be opportunity to enjoy a dive on one of the numerous dive sites in the hope to see the Ragged Tooth sharks and other marine life.
Return at approx. 3pm and transfer back to the hotel enjoying the beachfront or taking part in optional activities e.g. additional diving, kayaking, cultural activities, shopping etc.
Beach Walk & Picnic: Weather depending we will have sundowners and snacks on the beach enjoying a spectacular South African sunset.
Day 7: Check out of your hotel and transfer to the airport for your flight home or sign up for one of our extensions such as Cape Town to see the Great White Sharks or Shark Diving in Aliwal Shoal.
Enjoy your stay in Port Elizabeth at the wonderfully located Courtyard hotel, situated on the beachfront within walking distance to many shops and restaurants as well as most importantly to the dive center.
- Woolworths personal shopping service
- Intimate lounge area
- Bar and Club Lounge
- 24 hour enhanced security
- Fitness room
- Secure parking
- An elegant boardroom for guest use
- Personal use of guest office and internet
- Sparkling pool in landscaped garden setting
- Full English and Continental breakfasts daily
- In room dinning by arrangement with local restaurants
- Same-day laundry and dry cleaning service, weekdays only
- Launderette 24 hours
- Ice machine
- Return Airport Transfers
- 6 Nights’ Beachfront Accommodation
- Breakfast Daily
- Lunch packs on diving days
- Transfer to the launch site
- 5 Days at sea (weather permitting)
- 8m Semi-Rigid Dive Boat (SAMSA Licensed – 40 miles offshore)
- Hire of Tanks & Weights
- Experienced Skipper
- Filming Permits
- Shark & Reef Diving
- On non-diving days group transfers will be provided for local excursions e.g. Addo Elephant National Park, Seal Diving in Plettenberg Bay, visit to Tsitsikamma National Park, Sundays River Sandboarding and River Cruises etc. All entrance fees and other costs related to the activities will be for the clients account.
- Dinner & Drinks
- Equipment Hire
- Travel Insurance